It-essentials Chapter 9 Exam v6.0 2016
1. Which two statements are true of a laptop CPU when compared to a desktop CPU? (Choose two.)
Laptop CPUs operate at higher clock speeds.
Laptop CPUs use smaller cooling devices.*
Laptop CPUs consume more power.
Laptop CPUs are interchangeable with desktop CPUs.
Laptop CPUs are designed to produce less heat.*
2. Which laptop component makes use of throttling to reduce power consumption and heat?
3. Why are SODIMMs well suited for laptops?
They have a small form factor.*
They connect to external ports.
They do not produce heat.
They are interchangeable with desktops.
4. What is a characteristic of laptop motherboards?
Laptop motherboards use the same form factors as desktop motherboards.
Laptop motherboards are proprietary.*
Laptop motherboards use standard form factors.
Laptop motherboard components are compatible with desktop motherboards.
5. Which laptop component converts DC power to AC power?
6. Where is a Wi-Fi antenna commonly located on a laptop?
on an external USB adapter
above the laptop screen*
next to the keyboard
on the side of the laptop
7. Which two methods can be used to configure laptop ACPI power options? (Choose two.)
Windows Power Options utility*
Windows UAC settings
Windows AERO theme settings
8. A user needs to connect a Bluetooth device to a laptop. Which type of cable is needed to accomplish this?
None. Bluetooth connections are wireless.*
EIA/TIA 232 cable
9. A technician has installed a wireless Ethernet card in a Windows 7 laptop. Where would the technician configure a new wireless connection?
Control Panel > Networking and Sharing Center > Set up a new connection or network*
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
Control Panel > Internet Options
Control Panel > System > Device Manager
10. Which technology provides laptops the ability to function on a cellular network?
11. A technician is trying to remove a SODIMM module from a laptop. What is the correct way to do this?
Press outward on the clips that hold the sides of the SODIMM.*
Pull outward by holding the center of the SODIMM module.
Apply downward force on the SODIMM module.
Desolder the SODIMM module.
12. When replacing or adding memory to a laptop, where can a technician find the maximum amount of RAM each memory slot can support?
System Properties window
website of manufacturer*
13. What should be done immediately after a CPU is latched in and screwed down to a laptop motherboard?
The heat sink should be attached to the CPU.
The cooling fan should be fastened to the motherboard.
The power cable should be attached from the cooling fan to the motherboard.
The locked down CPU should be protected with thermal paste.*
14. Which technology allows a mobile device to establish wireless communication with another mobile device by touching them together?
15. Which technology will allow a mobile device to share an Internet connection with other devices via tethering?
near field communication
16. What are two differences between an e-reader and a tablet device? (Choose two.)
An e-reader only supports Wi-Fi connectivity but a tablet can support both Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity.
An e-reader commonly has longer battery life than a tablet device.*
A tablet device is usually lighter in weight than an e-reader.
A tablet device screen may be harder to read in direct sunlight than an e-reader screen.*
A tablet uses an electronic paper technology that provides better performance than an e-reader.
17. What type of device is commonly used to measure and collect daily activity data for achieving personal goals?
Global Positioning System
18. A technician has been asked to decide which laptop components should be cleaned on a monthly basis as part of a maintenance routine. What are two examples of components that should be included? (Choose two.)
19. To clean laptops, which two products are recommended? (Choose two.)
mild cleaning solution*
20. What two steps must be taken before performing a cleaning procedure on a laptop computer? (Choose two.)
Disconnect the laptop from the electrical outlet.*
Remove all installed batteries.*
Wipe the surface of the touch pad.
Clean the screen with a cloth.
Insert the cleaning disk into the optical drive.
Backup the registry.
21. What is the first step in the process of troubleshooting a laptop?
Identify the problem.*
Establish probable causes.
Determine the exact cause.
Verify full functionality.
22. What is the next step in the troubleshooting process after a solution has been implemented on a laptop?
Verify the solution.*
Document the solution.
Ask the customer to explain the problem.
Return the device to the customer.
23. While troubleshooting a mobile device, a technician determines that the battery is not holding a charge. What is the next step in the troubleshooting process?
Implement a solution.
Document the findings.
Determine the exact cause.*
Verify the solution and full system functionality.
24. A technician notices that a laptop display appears stretched and pixelated. What is a probable cause of this?
The display properties are incorrectly set.*
The power management features are incorrectly set.
The power inverter is failing.
The screen has been burned in.
One of the RAM modules is failing.
25. A user with a company-issued smartphone notices that there is a gap at the end of the device. A technician examines the smartphone and discovers that the battery is swollen. What should the technician do next?
Use the smartphone until the battery is completely discharged.
Clean the battery leads with baking soda.
Replace the battery.*
Use a multimeter to see if the output voltage is within range.